Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mushroom Risotto





Risotto is one of my favourite dishes you can make with rice. It has a creamy, rich texture and is absolutely filling. Risotto contains quite much butter which is usually mixed in lastly but I wanted to caramelize my onions in butter first. I also ommited white wine and used vegetable broth. The result was still very delicious and I really did not miss any wine. Instead I added some red wine vinegar (it was ok but you could also use white wine vinegar. I did not have any!). So this makes quite a lot of risotto. I divided this into 4-6 servings but if you are a serious eater you may consider this as 3, I think. Anyway, it's never too much of mushroom risotto!

Mushroom Risotto

3 onions
40g butter
400g mushrooms, chopped into small chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
5-6 cloves garlic
400g risotto rice, uncooked
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I believe white would be better but this is all I had)
~2 liters vegetable stock
pinch ground pepper
salt, to taste

1) Chop 2 1/2 onion into thin strips. In a large saucepan, melt 40g of butter and add the onion. Cover and cook, over medium-low heat, until lightly browned. Stir occasionally until completely soft and caramelized. If it starts browning too fast, reduce the heat or add more butter. This should take approx. 10 minutes. When the onions caramelize, add mushrooms and mix well. Season wih salt and pepper. Cover and cook until mushrooms start to release liquid. Uncover and cook until all the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. While the mushroom/onion mixture is cooking, you can start preparing risotto.

2) In another large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add 1/2 chopped onion and cook until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add rice and toast for a few minutes. Add vinegar, mix well and then stir in 1 cup of vegetable stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until rice absorb most of the liquid, stirring constantly. Add another cup of stock and repeat this until you add all the liquid (I did not add all the stock, I had about 1/4 cup leftovers. If you notice that your rice is cooked and soft stop adding the liquid). When the rice has cooked, mix in the mushroom/onion mixture. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4-6

Recipe by collecting memories 

2 comments:

  1. How do you get your pictures so crisp?! Do you take them at a certain time or place? Because these are gorgeous. I've never seen risotto look so good (but I do adore mushrooms) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, yes, I do! :D I have a spot in my place where I always take pictures. I take my photographs next to the window and use a reflector. Also, I always try to take photos until 4-5pm during the summer when the light is the best (Although it's difficult during winter when most of the days are grey and dark ;/).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...